The work on the new access road via Challies road is now complete. There are still some signs to be erected and this may be a couple of weeks. Taylors Contracting have also carried out some deepening of our existing ponds while they had machines on site so we should end up with better access and better ponds.
The TDC gravel extraction project has enabled the development of another fishing pond nearby. This pond will be managed by Fish and Game and will provide an opportunity for adult licence holders to fish.
The Trustees have confirmed the dates for guide assisted fishout days for the coming season . The dates are 22nd November , 29th of November and the 13th of December. Bookings for the fishout days are essential . Children can be booked in for a 50 minute slot on these dates using the bookings tab on this site.
Bookings for these days will open in a week or so.
The ponds will be closed for caregiver/parent supervised fishing by children until the 20th of December. The ponds will then be available for family supervised fishing from the 20th of December until the 31st of March 2021. Users should note the conditions for use that apply during this period.
Changed Access Instructions The old access road over the stop bank from River Road has been closed. The new access is from the lower end of Challies road. Those who have been using the old access track should take note. The new access is as follows :
- Turn into River road after crossing the Appleby bridge
- Stay on River road until it meets Waimea West road
- Turn left into Waimea West road
- Proceed along Waimea West road about 2 kilometres and turn left into Challies road
- Proceed to the end of Challies road and over the stopbank
- Follow the track to the gate on the left of the stock yards.
- Go through the gate and follow the track on the river side of the ponds until the end of the kids ponds and turn left over the culvet into the ponds. ( if you get to the new large pond/lake you have missed the left turn off to the kids ponds )