Finding the Ponds
Changed Access Instructions The old access road over the stop bank from River Road has been closed. The new access is from the lower end of Challies road. Those who have been using the old access track should take note. The new access for the fishout days is as follows:
- Turn into River road after crossing the Appleby bridge
- Stay on River road until it meets Waimea West road
- Turn left into Waimea West road
- Proceed along Waimea West road about 2 kilometres and turn left into Challies road
- Proceed to the end of Challies road and over the stopbank
- Follow the track to the gate on the left of the stock yards.
- Go through the gate and follow the track on the river side of the ponds until the end of the kids ponds and turn left over the culvet into the ponds. ( if you get to the new large pond/lake you have missed the left turn off to the kids ponds )
For the period from the 20th December until the 30th of March the gate next to the cattle yards will be closed to prevent any conflict with farming machinery and operations. Fishers will need to park in the designated area outside the gate and walk along the stopbank about 150 metres to get for the ponds.